These audio files are from tapes that were used in a voice activated recorder. Prior to Somerville Fire going to a UHF frequency, they operated without a repeater. Therefore some of the radio traffic was not picked by the voice activated recorder. These and future files have also been edited to remove some of the dead air that would take up alot of time. These files reflect the busiest time on the Somerville Fire Department for fires.
Note: You will need to have Quick Time Player installed on your computer to listed to the Audio Files. If you do not have Quick Time Player and would like to download it for free CLICK HERE
Because of the size of these files, it may take a minute or so before the audio starts playing.
For reference, "301" was the Chief of the Department. "302" and "303" were Chief Officers - referred to as "C-2" and "C-3" present day.
The fire at the U.S.S. Baltimore Post was at 8 Kenneson Rd which is the area that is now a vacant parking lot to the right of Fire Headquarters on Broadway. Box 322 was struck at 0057 hrs followed by a Working Fire at 0100 and a 2nd at 0111. One story building was fully involved. The fire was on March 24, 1976.
To hear the Fire Audio from the Baltimore Post Fire CLICK HERE
The Union Sq Hotel at 45 Union Square was also on March 24, 1976. Box 225 was struck at 1347 hrs followed by a Working Fire at 1356, 2nd at 1400 and 3rd at 1430. The fire started in a 3rd floor storeroom and extended to the third floor and cockloft. One male was rescued from the third floor over Ladder Two's aerial and Lt. Bill Duffy along with Ff's Joe Ghiozzi and Guido Salvi located an unconscious male on the third floor. He was removed but unfortunately died six days later. This was the fourth fire in the hotel during the month. Arson fires occurred on March 13 @ 2315 (locker on 3rd floor and barrel in a vacant room), March 15 @ 2108 (mattress fire in vacant 2nd floor room) and on the same night again at 2153 hrs (mattress fire in vacant 3rd floor room).
To hear the Fire Audio from the Union Square Hotel Fire CLICK HERE